Claiming Work Related Expenses

(last updated 26/03/2014)

Related Posts:
Many workers have to pay for things for work. To claim an expense, you must have spent the money and not been reimbursed by your employer.

Deductible expenses canc include things like:
  • car expenses, including fuel costs and maintenance 
  • travel costs 
  • clothing expenses 
  • self-education expenses 
  •  union fees 
  • home computer and phone expenses 
  • tools and equipment expenses 
  • journals and trade magazines.
To claim an allowable deduction, the expense must:
  • relate to your work activity (eg. you wouldn't claim cooking classes if you are an office worker)
  • the expense is not private or personal (eg. trave lfrom home to work is considered private)
  • you can produce receipts or other written evidence  (note - credit card statements can be evidece of a work related cost).
You generally cannot claim the following expenses associated with your work: 
  • travel between your home and your workplace 
  •  expenses for a uniform consisting of conventional clothing like a black skirt and white shirt or blouse 
  • self-education expenses where the course you are undertaking does not have sufficient connection to your current employment.

E-tax Return

See these posts with tips, calculators and checklists to help you prepare your eTax Return (and get a better refund) with less hassle:
For help with your eTax return see our eTax Return Checklist.

Web Based Tax Return App:

A benefit of using eZtax, our web based tax return app, is we have the genuine online tools, knowledge and experience to get the best tax refund for our clients, making it easy to complete your annual tax return online.

Our Web Based Tax Return App will step you through all the necessary questions to increase your  tax refund and take into account all relevant tax deductions and tax offsets. Try it now. Its FREE to get started! 

Copyright 2014. My Tax Zone.