Unpaid Super

If you think that your employer is not paying your super, the Tax Office has processes in place to help you investigate this.

The following step-by-step process will assist you by walking you through the various steps involved.
What do I do if I think my employer is not paying my super?

If you’re concerned about unpaid super guarantee contributions, you should:
  1. Talk to your employer. You should ask them how often they are currently paying your super, into which fund they are paying it, and how much they are paying. It’s a good idea to ask these sorts of questions when you start work with an employer.You should also make sure you are eligible to receive super. Usually an employer has to pay super contributions for you if you are over 18 and you are paid at least $450 in salary and wages (before tax) in a month. It doesn’t matter if you work casual, part-time or full-time hours. You can also be eligible if you are a contractor working primarily for labour (eg graphic designer)
  2. Check your last Member Statement from your super fund, or contact them to confirm if your employer has paid your super.
  3. If you have completed steps 1 & 2 and still believe your employer is not paying enough or any super, and/or is not paying the super to your chosen fund, you can lodge an enquiry about unpaid super by:    
  • using the online Employee superannuation guarantee (SG) calculator tool, or
  • phoning the Tax Office on 13 10 20.
(Source ATO)

Copyright 2014. My Tax Zone.