See this post for details and checklist of eTax and Allowable Deductions.
The medical expenses must be for:
- your spouse – married or de facto – regardless of their income
- your children who were aged under 21 years, including adopted and stepchildren, regardless of their income
- any other child aged under 21 years – not a student – whom you maintained and whose separate net income (SNI) was less than $1,786 for the first child and lessthan $1,410 for the second child and any subsequentchildren
- a student aged under 25 years whom you maintained and whose SNI was less than $1,786
- child-housekeeper, but only if you can claim a taxoffset for them at item T1 on your tax return, or
- an invalid relative, parent or spouse’s parent, but onlyif you can claim a dependant tax offset for Parent, Spouse's parent or invalid relative.
Medical expenses which qualify for the tax offset also include payments:
- to dentists, orthodontists or registered dental mechanics
- to opticians or optometrists, including for the cost ofprescription spectacles or contact lenses
- to a carer who looks after a person who is blind orpermanently confined to a bed or wheelchair
- for therapeutic treatment under the direction of a doctor
- for medical aids prescribed by a doctor
- for artificial limbs or eyes and hearing aids
- for maintaining a properly trained dog for guiding orassisting people with a disability (but not for socialtherapy)
- for laser eye surgery, and
- for treatment under an in-vitro fertilisation program.
- cosmetic operations for which a Medicare benefit isnot payable
- dental services or treatments that are solely cosmetic
- therapeutic treatment where the patient is notformally referred by a doctor – a mere suggestion or recommendation by a doctor to the patient is notenough for the treatment to qualify; the patient mustbe referred to a particular person for specific treatment
- chemist-type items – such as tablets for pain relief – purchased in retail outlets or health food stores
- inoculations for overseas travel
- non-prescribed vitamins or health foods
- travel or accommodation expenses associated withmedical treatment
- contributions to a private health insurer
- purchases from a chemist that are not related to an illness or operation
- life insurance medical examinations
- ambulance charges and subscriptions, and
- funeral expenses.
Web Based Tax Return App:
A benefit of using eZtax, our web based tax return app, is we have the genuine online tools, knowledge and experience to get the best tax refund for our clients, making it easy to complete your annual tax return online.
Our Web Based Tax Return App will step you through all the necessary questions to increase your 2014 tax refund estimate and take into account all relevant tax deductions and tax offsets. Try it now. Its FREE to get started!