Applying for Super Co-contributions

You don’t need to apply for the co-contribution. All you need to do is:

  • make personal super contributions (after tax) super contributions before 30 June to your super fund or retirement savings account (RSA)
  • don’t claim a personal super contribution deduction for at least some of your personal contributions in your income tax return, and
  • lodge an income tax return.
  • notify your super fund of your tax file number (TFN)

Once your super fund has reported your personal contributions to theATO, and you have lodged your income tax return, the ATO can then calculate if you are eligible. If you are, the ATO will automatically calculate the co-contribution amount and deposit it into your super account.

Most co-contribution payments are made between November and January each year as most contributions are reported to the ATO by then.

If you don’t supply your TFN to your super fund or RSA, they cannot accept your personal contributions and you may miss out on a co-contribution

Copyright 2014. My Tax Zone.