Tax issues for people affected by natural disarster

If you’ve been affected by flood or bushfires don’t worry about tax matters, the Tax Office will work with you to help you meet any upcoming obligations.

This also applies to people involved in fire control or support services.
The ATO realise it may be a while before you can focus on tax matters.

With this in mind, if you are experiencing any difficulties meeting your tax obligations you can contact the ATO on 13 11 42 (during business hours).

And if you get any mail from the ATO, don’t worry about it. Call the ATO when you’re ready and they will work with you to sort things out.

The Tax Office can help you by:
  • fast tracking refunds for people impacted by the fires
  • giving you extra time to pay debts — without interest charges
  • giving you more time to meet activity statement and other lodgment obligations
  • helping you reconstruct your tax records where your documents have been destroyed, and
  • offering visits from field officers to help you reconcile lost records.

For more inforrmation visit the ATO here ==> Information for people affected by natural disasters.

Copyright 2014. My Tax Zone.