Co-ownership of Investment Property


Co-ownership of investment property is important as it determines the distribution of income or negative gearing loss and or capital gains. Co-ownership can either be joint tenants or tenants in common and is recorded on title deeds.

Co-owners can enter into private arrangements relating to division of property at any given time, but for income tax purposes, the tax office will only recognise what is recorded on the title deed.


So what is the difference:

Joint Tenants - is where each owner holds an equal interest in the property. Commonly used in co-ownership of the family home.

Tenants in common - is where each owner may hold an unequal interest in the property - for example, one may hold 20% interest and the other an 80% interest. Commonly used with investment properties where one owner (eg spouse) has a higher income than the other. It is common in this situation to alter the ownership structure to utilise negative gearing.

If you want to know how much you can borrow, our supportive team and referral contacts has the GENUINE expertise, accreditation and experience to assist you with both home loans, car and business finance requirements.

For help with your eTax return see our eTax Return Checklist.

Web Based Tax Return App:

A benefit of using eZtax, our web based tax return app, is we have the genuine online tools, knowledge and experience to get the best tax refund for our clients, making it easy to complete your annual tax return online.

Our Web Based Tax Return App will step you through all the necessary questions to increase your 2014 tax refund estimate and take into account all relevant tax deductions and tax offsets. Try it now. Its FREE to get started! 

Copyright 2014. My Tax Zone.